About 4-H Shooting Sports
The West Virginia 4-H Shooting Sports Program encompasses the goals of volunteer leadership, capacity building for youth and families, and environmental stewardship. The program is designed to:
- give youth safe and thorough instruction and training in the use of firearms (muzzleloading, air pistol, air rifle including small bore, and shotgun), archery equipment, and wildlife conservation;
- enhance self-confidence, personal development, responsibility, and sportsmanship;
- create an appreciation and understanding of natural resources; and
- provide volunteer instructors safe and proper instructional techniques and information on how to plan and manage shooting and conservation clubs.
The West Virginia 4-H Shooting Sports Program teaches young people between the ages of 9 and 21 the safe and responsible use of firearms and archery equipment, in addition to instruction in wildlife conservation.
4-H Adult Volunteer Leaders are trained and certified to be positive role models and mentors for youth in the 4-H Shooting Sports Program.
Goals, Objectives and Policy
4-H Shooting Sports provide an outstanding way of promoting human growth and development in the life skills identified by the National 4-H Program. Decision making, teamwork, problem solving, being responsible and having high self-esteem are just a few of the many skills 4-H helps to develop to enable youth to be productive and positive adults in our society. Youth development is the number one goal of the 4-H Shooting Sports Program.
Specific objectives of the 4-H Shooting Sports program are:
- To enhance development of participant’s self-concept, character and personal growth through safe educational and socially-acceptable involvement in shooting activities.
- To strengthen families through life-long recreation activities.
- To develop leadership qualities in youth and adult participants.
- To expand 4-H membership and involve additional 4-H adult volunteers.
- To encourage understanding of natural resource concepts through participant’s interest in shooting and wildlife conservation.
- To expose participants to the broad array of vocation and lifelong avocational activities related to shooting sports.
- To teach safe and responsible use of firearms and archery equipment, including sound decision-making, self-discipline, and concentration
- To promote the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship, and ethical behavior.
- To complement and enhance the impact of existing safety and hunter education programs.
- To provide 4-H training and certification in the various shooting sports disciplines for adult volunteers.
- To maintain and expand a state level committee of Nationally trained and certified 4-H Shooting Sports Instructors.
4-H Shooting Sports Competition Results
- 2011 4-H Senior Air Rifle Competition Event Results (pdf file)
- 2011 4-H Junior Air Rifle Competition Event Results (pdf file)
- 2010 4-H Senior Air Rifle Competition Event Results (pdf file)
- 2010 4-H Junior Air Rifle Competition Event Results (pdf file)
- 2009 4-H Senior Air Rifle Competition Event Results (pdf file)
- 2009 4-H Junior Division Event Results (pdf file)